Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Oooops! Damn!

I typically never perform the automatic Windows updates simply because one time several years after I had clicked the little pop-up on the Windows status bar for complete an update, and whatever the update consisted of, it totally crashed my computer.

Anyway, I noticed earlier this morning that I just had too many applications running in the Windows status bar, so I went to start closing the ones I knew I didn’t need running. In closing several of them, I accidentally started a Windows update that had been sitting down there for months.

Fuck! I couldn’t stop it! Fuck! I couldn't undo any of the changes either! Fuck! So after it was completed, all I could do was restart my computer and see what damage had been done. Fuck!

It turns out the Microsoft has finally gone “Big Brother” us! When Windows starts up, I get an enormously distracting message that says: “You may be the victim of software counterfeiting.”

Then I get a star looking program that constantly runs in the Windows status bar that I cannot terminate. When clicked on, this program brings up an Internet Explorer window (IE sucks btw; long live Firefox) that gives me the details on why my version of Windows may not be genuine:
You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine.
The Windows product key installed on this computer is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked. A VLK is typically licensed to organizations that want to use multiple copies of Windows. However, if a VLK is reported as stolen or leaked, it is blocked from passing validation and is not considered genuine.

Buy a genuine product key online
Special offer: Purchase a genuine product key online and convert your system to genuine Windows.
No shit!!! I purchased this version of XP years ago from the University of Texas, who is an authorized discount Microsoft provider. They give the same software key to everyone! This is ridiculous! Microsoft can kiss my ass! I’m not falling for their thuggish and remedial approach to get more of my money.

No comments: