Saturday, October 03, 2009

By The Power Of Grayskull

I was (and many would argue still am) a child of the 80's. One of my most favorite cartoons was the classic He-Man and the Masters of the Universe series. I've seen literally every single episode at least 10 times, own the entire series, and used to own nearly all of the characters' toys by Mattel (before my mom tossed them out.) Hell, I used to even have Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain!



What's new now is that I've recently purchased the complete series box set of the 2002-2003 "fresh take" on the classic He-Man story. Of course it has the exact same name as the original series, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

Not to knock the original series, which I absolutely love even to this day, but this newer 2002-2003 series has blown me away. It has all of the same characters, is still very true to the original concept, has amazing action sequences, slightly more mature plot and story lines, and pretty good art work.

Let me go a little more in depth on the art work. The characters are drawn more realistically. For example, Prince Adam is a young kid, but when he transforms into He-Man, he then becomes a huge, muscular hulk of a man. In the original series, the only noticeable difference between Prince Adam and He-Man was a deeper voice and a sun tan. For that matter, all of the characters in the older series had essentially the same body build and size. This just isn't so in this new series. Characters come in all shapes and sizes which is way more entertaining to watch, especially in the many action sequences!

I could go on and on about all of the wonderful surprises I've duscovered with this new series, but I won't, at least not right now. If you were a fan of any kind of the original He-Man series, I highly recommend that you check out this newer series! It is truly awesome, and I highly doubt you'll be disappointed!

-- Posted from Frank's iPhone

No comments: