Monday, March 08, 2010

Defying Gravity


[Glinda:]
Don't be afraid.

[Elphaba:]
I'm not...
It's the Wizard who should be afraid...
Of me!

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down...

Quick get on!

[Glinda:]
What?

[Elphaba:]
Come with me. Think of what we could do - together.

I'm Limited
Together we're unlimited
Together we'll be the greatest team
There's ever been, Glinda,
Dreams the way we planned 'em

[Glinda:]
If we work in tandem

[Both:]
There's no fight we cannot win
Just you and I
Defying gravity
With you and I
Defying gravity

[Elphaba:]
They'll never bring us down...
Well? Are you coming?

[Glinda:]
Elfie, you're trembling!
I hope you're happy
Now that you're choosing this...

[Elphaba:]
You too - I hope it brings you bliss

[Both:]
I really hope you get it
And you don't live to regret it
I hope you're happy in the end
I hope you're happy, my friend...

[Elphaba:]
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately -
Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me -

Tell them how I
Am defying gravity!
I'm flying high
Defying gravity!
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!

[Citizens of Oz:]
Look at her, shes wicked!
Get her!

[Elphaba:]
...bring me down!
This is truly an exceptional show (for those who are not familiar with it!) Jimmy and I were lucky enough to have the opportunity to see this musical last year. It was amazing! The story is based on the Wizard of Oz from the perspective of the witches, Elphaba (better known to people who are familiar with the Wizard of Oz as the Wicked Witch of the West) and Glinda. Wicked is the back-story of the relationship between Elphaba and Glinda… their rough beginning and rivalry (especially around a common love-interest) that develops into a strong friendship. The story comes to a major climax near the end of the first act (during this song, "Defying Gravity") when Elphaba realizes that the Wizard of Oz and his government are corrupt and she will have nothing to do with it! (It is at this point that the Wizard tarnishes her publicly as “wicked” and an evil witch, even though it is really the other way around in this story.)

This song has been exceptionally encouraging for me lately with regards to work, or as I like to call it, hell. I try my best to focus having things perfect and right, and when others suffer from mediocrity (at best) or just unadorned apathy, it really brings me down! When things need to be addressed and corrected immediately, it seems that there is a remarkable lack of urgency and will from others to comply.

This song helps me recognize that I must to do my best, even though others may not follow suit. I need to stop playing by their rules. I need to trust myself and my instincts and do what I know is right despite the fact that others simply do not care. I need to stop allowing the indifference of others to influence my outlook, and I must only focus on me and what I can do. That is all I can ask of myself… that is all that I truly require. Perhaps there is hope that I will one day free myself from my shackles of anguish and the place I know as hell, my job.

No comments: