Thursday, June 09, 2005

Watching Some Classic Comedies...

In a neverending personal tradition, I watch The Three Amigos at least twice every year or when I'm bored out of my mind... like today. I know the script quite well, so there are few surprises. But every once and a while, there is a joke or innuendo in there that I had missed before and suddenly it all makes sense to me. This humor that is revealed to me in layers is the result of, dare I say, consistant study and attention to minute details. This movie is truly one where you find more and more to enjoy the more effort you put into it. When I watch it and something clicks where before I hadn’t noticed anything before, it makes me appreciate the movie that much more. I suppose you could say that I am a master at discerning the slapstick comedy of this movie.

"In a way, all of us have an El Guapo to face someday. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us... El Guapo is a big dangerous guy who wants to kills us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day... the people of Santa Poco... can conquer their own personal El Guapo... who also happens to be the actual El Guapo."

No comments: